Event information – Dogs’ Day Out 2023
When & Where:
Paws & Learn seminars
Saturday 7th October 6.30-9.30pm
Te Manawaroa Room 1.07, Level 1, Waikato Uni Tauranga Campus, 101 Durham St, Tauranga CBD
6.35pm Dr Jess Beer “Caring for your pets in a post Covid world”
7.25pm Michelle Le Long “Pet Insurance ins & outs”
7.45pm BREAK – supper provided
8.15pm Prof Nick Cave “ Raw feeding: facts, philosophies and fallacies”
Dogs Day Out carnival
Sunday 8th October, 9am-2pm
Tauranga Raceway, 1383 Cameron Rd, Greeton, Tauranga
9.30am Waikato Sheep Dog Trials demonstration
10am DOC Conservation dogs: Scott & Mille demonstration
10.15am Waggiest tail competition
10.30am Tauranga & Mt Maunganui Dog Training Club demonstration
11am Best look-a-like duo and Best Trickster competitions
11.30am Waikato Sheep Dog Trials demonstration
12pm PD Insurance Red Carpet “Dog Walk” competition
12.30pm Tauranga & Mt Maunganui Dog Training Club demonstration
1pm DOC Conservation dogs: Scott & Mille demonstration
1.15pm Pawsitivity competition for best human-dog team smiles & obvious enthusiasm
1.30pm Colouring competition closes & voting will take place.
- Paws & Learn Seminars: Participate in engaging and informative seminars from world-class speakers on nutrition, behaviour and pet insurance. Learn tips that will ensure a healthier and happier life for your four-legged companions. This is an NZVNA accredited CPD event too. Only $25pp but pre-registration is essential
- Demonstrations and Performances: Be amazed by captivating demonstrations showcasing the incredible talents and skills of well-trained dogs. Witness sheep dog trials, agility displays, Conservation dogs in action, and even some fun tricks that will leave you in awe.
- Dog-Walk red carpet event: BYO, go ‘naked’ or let us provide the dress-ups for you as part of the red-carpet showcase of pooch-style. All breeds and sizes welcome to strut their stuff on the PD Insurance red carpet ‘Dogwalk’
- Compete in fun competitions: waggiest tail, look-a-like duo, best ‘smile’ Pawsitivity award, best trickster…and lots of great prizes
- Kids' Corner: Engage the young ones in a range of educational activities and games designed to teach them about responsible pet ownership, empathy towards animals, and the joy of companionship. Face painting, colouring-in competitions, and interactive sessions will keep them entertained throughout the event.
- Pet Market: Explore our pet-centric market, filled with a variety of vendors offering everything from premium pet food and toys to stylish accessories and innovative pet care products. Find that perfect item to pamper your beloved pets and discover new products that can enhance their well-being.
- Food stalls: indulge in locally produced yummy nosh to keep the whole family nourished inside & out.
Don't miss out on this fantastic opportunity to spend quality time with your family and beloved pets while gaining valuable knowledge about their health and happiness.
Paws & Learn Speakers:
Professor Nick Cave
Raw feeding: facts, philosophies & fallacies
Nick Cave graduated from Massey University (NZ) in 1990 with a BVSc, and worked in general practice for 6 years until 1997, when he returned to Massey for a residency in small animal internal medicine, and graduated with a Masters in Veterinary Science in 2000.
In 2004 he moved to the University of California, Davis, where he attained a PhD in nutrition and immunology. At the same time, he completed a residency in small animal clinical nutrition, and became a diplomate in the American College of Veterinary Nutrition in 2004.
In 2005, he returned to Massey University to lecture in small animal medicine and nutrition. He was a founding member of the WSAVA Global Nutrition Committee, and is a founding board member for the Massey University Centre for Working Dogs. He is on the editorial board for PLOS one, is an associate editor for Frontiers in Veterinary Science, has authored more than 70 peer-reviewed articles, several textbook chapters, and is a frequent commentator in public media.
Dr Jess Beer
Behavioural tips and tricks
Dr Jess Beer has more than 20 years of experience in companion animal clinical practice and has worked in the United Kingdom and New Zealand, as well as donating her time to charities in around the world.
In 2014, Jess gained her Membership of ANZCVS in Veterinary Behaviour, and since then has been practising in general practice and charity rescue organisations and, through her business, 'Kiwi Vet Behaviour', as a private behavioural consultant.
Jess is regularly invited to speak at tertiary training institutions and private veterinary clinics, teaching animal behaviour & low stress handling techniques. She has also been a regular behavioural expert on NZ radio and television. She is passionate about educating veterinary staff and pet guardians about behaviour to ensure they can help their patients and their pets in an ethical and evidence based fashion.
Michelle Le Long
Pet Insurance explained
Michelle Le Long is the Chief Operating Officer of NZ pet insurance specialist PD Insurance and mum to Buster the British Bulldog, her three year old causer of chaos. With a long history of owning pets and over 30 years in the insurance industry, Michelle says she found her true calling when joining PD Insurance a few months before its launch here in late 2020.
A Member of the Directors Institute of New Zealand, Le Long has held a multiple of Board and Chairperson positions and responsibilities within the insurance industry. Known to her colleagues as a flexible and creative thinker, Le Long relishes the challenges of being an innovator who continuously seeks opportunities to bring interesting solutions to PD’s partners and customers.
Passionate about ‘all things New Zealand’, Le Long describes herself as an armchair rugby referee who’s especially keen on local summers, a nice glass of sauvignon blanc, fishing, boating and spending time with family/friends.
Dogs Day Out events:
Sheep dog trial demonstrations
DOC Conservation dog demonstrations
Tauranga & Mt Maunganui Agility club demonstrations
PD Insurance red carpet "DogWalk" fancy dress competition - BYO dress up or use the material provided!
Dog-centric market area including Healthy Pets NZ, PD Insurance, Genius Pet Food, Grange Spa & Daycare, Greyhounds As Pets, Tauranga Vets, My Furbaby, Dappa Paws, PAW by Blackmores, Tag-Me Instant Tags, 1971 Canvas, Kiwi Vet Behaviour, and more...
Food stalls: Pipi's Real Fruit Icecream, Coffee Cup, Delicious Dosa, Hashtag Cafe
Family friendly competitions with great prizes: Waggiest tail, biggest smiles, best tricks etc
Face painting with Faces By Me
And lots more...
Health and Safety
As veterinary professionals we are committed to holding an event that keeps both dogs and their owners safe at all times. There will be dogs on site as part of event displays and demonstrations. Dogs owned by attendees will be welcome but must be on a lead unless taking part in a controlled event in a confined area. Owners must obey the following rules:
- Dogs must be on a lead and under control at all times
- Dogs cannot be left tied up unattended.
- Dogs should be current for parvovirus and canine infectious cough vaccines
- Please pick up after your dog
We will have a team of volunteers/staff present to help manage these restrictions.
More information to come
Interested in Exhibiting?
Contact Cath Watson