- Recipient: Anne Haase
- Project Title: Fostering cats for health: How do cat fostering programmes benefit companion animals and humans?
- Publication: Fostering cats for health: summary report
- Recipient: John Munday
- Project Title: Development of a novel therapy for feline oral cancer.
- Publication: Multimodal blockage of the renin-angiotensin system is safe and is a potential cancer treatment for cats; Vet Sci. 2022 Aug; 9(8): 411
- Recipient: Sarah Fowler on behalf of Emma Bermingham
- Project Title: NZVJ review article on the microbiome in raw-fed cats and dogs with a focus on feacal diversity
- Publication: The effects of raw-meat diets on the gastrointestinal microbiota of the cat and dog: a review; New Zealand Veterinary Journal 70:1 pp 1-9
- Recipient: Sarah Fowler on behalf of Kat Crosse
- Project Title: NZVJ review article on surgical hand asepsis (authored by Kat Crosse)
- Publication: Pre-surgical hand preparation in veterinary practice; New Zealand Veterinary Journal 70:2 pp 69-78
- Recipient: Harsha Ariyarathna
- Project Title: Evaluation of chemokine and chemokine receptor expression as prognostic markers for canine mammary gland tumours.
- Publication: Chemokine gene expression influences metastasis and survival time of female dogs with mammary carcinoma; Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 227 (2020) 110075
- Recipient: Heidi Ward-McGrath
- Project Title: A pilot study to assess the effectiveness of totarol for the treatment of superficial bacterial skin infections in dogs.
- Publication: Some observations on the treatment of superficial pyoderma in dogs with totarol, Companion Quarterly 32:4, 34-38
- Recipient: Andrew Worth
- Project Title: Does the angle of insertion of an calcaneo-tibial screw affect the resistance to cyclic failure in dogs – a cadaver study.
- Publication: Calcaneotibial screws for immobilisation of the tarsocrural joint of dogs in extension: effect of the angle of screw placement on the force to failure in a canine cadaveric model
- Recipient: John Munday
- Project Title: Improving the treatment of feline oral squamous cell carcinomas by using immunohistochemistry to detect p16 and p53.
- Publication: Increased p16CDKN2A, but not p53, immunostaining is predictive of longer survival time in cats with oral squamous cell carcinomas; The Veterinary Journal 248 (2019) 64–70
- Recipient: Andrew Worth
- Project Title: Genetic evaluation in four large dog breeds that have been selected for better Elbow conformation using the NZVA Elbow dysplasia (ED) scheme
- Publication: Heritabilities and genetic trends for elbow score as recorded by the New Zealand Veterinary Association Elbow Dysplasia Scheme (1992–2013) in four breeds of dog, New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 66:3, 154-161,
- Recipient: Ben Leitch and Andrew Worth
- Project Title: Evaluation of an epoxy resin connecting bar/clamp external skeletal fixator for feline long bone fractures.
- Publication: Mechanical testing of a steel-reinforced epoxy resin bar and clamp for external skeletal fixation of long-bone fractures in cats; New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 66:3, 144-153
- Recipient: David Wilkinson
- Project Title: Assessment of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius (MRSP) carriage on New Zealand dogs.
- Publication: Carriage of Staphylococcus pseudointermedius by clinical normal dogs in Canterbury, New Zealand; New Zeland Veterinary Journal; Issue ahead of print Oct 2023
- Recipient: Sarah Fowler
- Project Title: Bacteriophage therapy in Companion Animals – a review and the future (authored by Richard Squires)
- Publication: Bacteriophage therapy for management of bacterial infections in veterinary practice: what was once old is new again; New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 66:5, 229-235
- Recipient: Kavitha Kongara
- Project Title: Evaluation of analgesic interaction between morphine, maropitant and dexmedetomidine in dogs undergoing ovariohysterectomy
- Publication: Effects of tramadol, morphine or their combination in dogs undergoing ovariohysterectomy on peri-operative electroencephalographic repsonses and post-operative pain; New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 60:2, 129-135
- Recipient: Arnon Gal
- Project Title: Comparison of bone marrow biopsy diagnostic quality for samples taken from different sites
- Publication: The site of bone marrow acquisition affects the myeloid to erythroid ratio in apparently healthy dogs
- Recipient: Allan Bell
- Project Title: Investigating the role of delta toxin from Staphylococcus psuedointermedius in canine dermatitis.
- Publication: Canine mast cell degranulation induced by a newly identified toxin from Staphylococcus pseudintermedius
Abstract accepted for presentation at the North American Veterinary Dermatology Forum (NAVDF) in Orlando, Florida.
- Recipient: Fiona Hollinshead
- Project Title: AMH as a potential predictive marker for fertility in bitches
- Publication: Determination of the normal reference interval for antiMüllerian hormone (AMH) in bitches and use of AMH as a potential predictor of litter size; Reproduction in Domestic Animals.
- Recipient: Mike Gieseg
- Project Title: The effect of the mdr1-1 delta mutation on dog sedation
- Publication: The Effect of the Canine ABCB1‐1Δ Mutation on Sedation after Intravenous Administration of Acepromazine; Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Recipient: Els Acke
- Project Title: Exploring the virulence of Campylobacter spp. using Galleria mellonella and whole genomes
- Publication: Pathogenicity investigation of Campylobacter jejuni, C. upsaliensis and C. helveticus isolated from dogs and cats using Galleria mellonella larvae.
- Recipient: Kavitha Kongara
- Project Title: Comparative effects of methadone, buprenorphine and morphine on electroencephalographic responses to castration in cats
- Publication: Comparative effects of methadone, buprenorphine and morphine on electroencephalographic responses to castration in cats; Journal of Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia 2016
- Recipient: Alison Stickney
- Project Title: Does Fel-O-Vax vaccine induce cross reactive immunity against NZ FIV isolates?
- Publication: Lack of protection against feline immunodeficiency virus infection among domestic cats in New Zealand vaccinated with the Fel-O-Vax FIV vaccine; Veterinary Microbiology 250, 108865, 2020
- Recipient: Alison Harland
- Project Title: Epidemiology of Leptospirosis infection in New Zealand dogs.
- Publication: Epidemiology of Canine Leptospirosis in New Zealand. Masters Thesis available from Massey University Library.
- Recipient: Andrew Worth
- Project Title: Determination of the amount of genetic change in 3 large breed dogs that have been selected for better hips by the NZVA HD scheme
- Publication: Canine hip dysplasia: phenotypic scoring and the role of estimated breeding value analysis; New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 63:2, 69-78
- Recipient: Helen Sheard
- Project Title: A survey of farm dog health with relation to farm & management practices
- Publication: Traumatic injuries in New Zealand working farm dogs CAS Newsletter, Volume 25, Issue 3, Sep 2014
- Recipient: Bronwyn Smits
- Project Title: Canine Leproid Granuloma in NZ Foxhounds: a pilot looking for an ecological niche.
- Publication: Confirmation of canine leproid granuloma syndrome in New Zealand; New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 59:3, 153
- Recipient: Joanna White
- Project Title: Incidence & prevalence of bacteriuria in older cats.
- Publication: Incidence and prevalence of asymptomatic bacterial urinary tract infections in healthy older cats. J. White, N. Cave, D. Thomas. Abstract presented to ACVIM 2013
- Recipient: Kara Dawson
- Project Title: A pilot study to estimate seroprevalence of Bartonella hensalae in shelter cats in Hamilton, NZ
- Publication: Bartonella henselae in cats: Results of a seroprevalence survey and relevance to New Zealand veterinary practitioners CAS Newsletter, volume 21, Issue 4, pp 16-18, December 2010.
- Recipient: Connie Stewart and Mark Robson
- Project Title: Current attitudes to, and use of, FIV vaccination by vets in NZ.
- Publication: Attitudes to and use of the feline immunodeficiency virus vaccine by veterinarians in New Zealand CAS Newsletter, Volume 24, Issue 3, pp16-22, Sep 2013.
- Recipient: Danielle Bowles
- Project Title: Owner's perception of quality of life in patients receiving carboplatin
- Publication: Owner's perception of carboplatin in conjunction with other palliative treatments for cancer therapy. D. B. Bowles, M. C. Robson, P. E. Galloway and L. Walker. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 51(2) 104-112
- Recipient: Elyshia Hankin
- Project Title: Transfacet screw stabilisation & dorsal laminectomy in 26 dogs with dynamic lumbosacral instability: a retrospective study.
- Publication: Transarticular Facet Screw Stabilization and Dorsal Laminectomy in 26 Dogs with Degenerative Lumbosacral Stenosis with Instability. E. J. Hankin, R. M. , A.M. Walker, M.D. King and C.G.A. Warman. Veterinary Surgery, 41 (5) 611-619
- Recipient: Kate Hill
- Project Title: Patterns of Antibacterial Use by NZ CA vets.
- Publication: Descriptive epidemiological study of the use of antimicrobial drugs by companion animal veterinarians in New Zealand; New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 60:2, 115-122
- Recipient: Richard Jerram and Alex Walker
- Project Title: Pancarpal arthrodesis in New Zealand working dogs: a prospective study.
- Publication: Prospective evaluation of pancarpal arthrodesis for carpal injuries in working dogs in New Zealand, using dorsal hybrid plating; New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 57:6, 331-337
- Recipient: Robyn Jarrett
- Project Title: Curettage and diathermy of feline nasal squamous cell carcinoma
- Publication: Curettage and diathermy: a treatment for feline nasal planum actinic dysplasia and superficial squamous cell carcinoma. R. H. Jarrett, E. J. Norman, I. R. Gibson and P. Jarrett, Journal of Small Animal Practice. 54 (2) 92–98
- Recipient: Adrian Witham & Liz Norman
- Project Title: Epidemiological study of thyroid masses and hyperthyroidism in senior cats
- Publication: Epidemiological study of thyroid masses and hyperthyroidism in senior cats A. Witham, H. Orbell, C. Dyer, V. Erceg, K. Hill, L. Norman, CAS Newsletter 18(3): 50
- Publication: Evaluation of euthyroid senior cats with and without palpable thyroid nodules for the development of hyperthyroidism A.I. Witham, K.E. Hill, E.J. Norman, CAS Newsletter 23(3): 22-27
- Recipient: Jodi Salinsky
- Project Title: Towards an objective 'species centred' approach to assessing pain - feline.
- Publication: A preliminary study of behaviour-based indicators of pain in cats N. Waran, L. Best, V. Williams, J. Salinsky, A. Dale and N. Clarke, Animal Welfare 2007, 16(S): 105-108
- Recipient: Richard Jerram
- Project Title: Alternative cranial cruciate ligament injury treatment
- Publication: Proximal tibial intra-articular ostectomy for treatment of canine cranial cruciate ligament injury R.M. Jerram, A.M. Walker, C.G.A. Warman, Veterinary Surgery 34:196-205
- Recipient: Mike Coleman
- Project Title: Evaluation of six-lead ECGs obtained from dogs in sitting or sternal positions
- Publication: Evaluation of six-lead electrocardiograms obtained from dogs in a sitting position or sternal recumbency M. G. Coleman, M. C. Robson, American Journal of Veterinary Research 66(2):233-237